Pages

Monday, March 24, 2008

Etching, Russian & Hebrew by podcast, Vegas trip,The Supervisor is Watching You, Deathly Hallows as 2 films, etc.

Wow haven't written most of this month. Well there hasn't been much to report. I've gone to work and school and then come home and did stuff.

I am now riding the SPRINTER, a light-rail train, to work and school. In both cases, the SPRINTER is only part of my journey, and I have to catch buses before and after. It is a very nice train. It is quiet and smooth, and the seats are pretty comfortable. Plus, it's kind of cool because in the middle of the train there's an accordion-esque thing that allows one part of the train to move so the train can round curves without having to move the whole train. (Some of the San Diego buses have this thing too). Riding the SPRINTER is necessary for me to get to work now that the 320's been axed; it's not necessary to get to and from school using it (there's a bus I could take, I think, from school to the bus station I catch the bus home at) but it's fun anyways. The connection between the 319 (the bus that connects Mira Costa and the nearest SPRINTER station) and the SPRINTER though is very badly timed.

We are now doing etching in my printmaking class (though I'm a little behind and have to still run prints for my 2nd blockprint). I asked the teacher for permission to borrow an etching tool so I could work on my etching at home and catch up. So I did. But I had trouble printing it; the prints came out too light. The teacher said the lines needed to be thicker, so I borrowed an etching tool again with the intention of working on it last week during spring break. I must confess I put it off. The first part of the week, we were in Vegas Sunday and Monday, I was off Tuesday and Thursday, and I worked the rest of the week and was quite tired and stressed. I almost did it last night but ended up doing other things instead. But I finally worked on it tonight, as soon as I got home from work. It is better now.

The etching I am doing is of a page from one of my W.I.T.C.H. comic books that has a picture of Cornelia and Elyon. I was initially afraid it would be too big when the teacher was passing out squares of Plexiglass, but when I laid the Plexiglass on the picture, it fit just fine.

Here is the picture (resized to fit my blog post space):

Photobucket


Etching is at least easier than the blockprints, though when we move on to etching on metal plates it will supposedly be harder. Also, printing etchings is harder than printing blockprints.

I am learning 2 new languages thanks to the Radio Lingua Network's slew of podcasts on iTunes and my trusty iPod Nano: Russian and Hebrew. I have listened to two lessons of each, and am now listening to supplementary lessons from LearnHebrewPod.com (the site for the podcast I'm listening to to learn Hebrew). They are not as hard as I thought; I always figured Russian was pretty hard. I had issues though pronouncing the word for "hello" (Zdrastvuite) but I think I have figured it out.

Last week, we went to Vegas for my uncle's funeral. It was overall an ok trip but pretty boring. We did drive down the Strip on the first night though and saw all the famous hotels. The funeral service the next day was brief (due to Veteran Cemetery regulations) and after it we went and ate at the buffet at the hotel we had stayed at. It was a very good buffet, though I didn't eat much. I wasn't terribly hungry after my first helping (three fried wontons, some steamed rice, a breadstick, and some overly buttered penne, all of which I ate), so I just had dessert after that (a couple cookies, a small brownie-esque thing with M & M's, and a small bowl of ice cream).

This last week and then some has been stressful at work cause supervisors of various sorts have been in almost every day. Not to mention we just got through a holiday week (Easter; not to mention St. Patrick's Day was the same week). I've sampled once in about two weeks. The rest of the time I've been packaging to the point where if I were a less moral girl than I am, I would probably swear the next time I saw a dinner roll. Yesterday, I described myself as being in a "La Brea nightmare" cause I worked with La Brea all day (for FIVE HOURS). The supervisors' constant presence reminds me of the book 1984 (which I've heard of but never read) where it is said that "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU." In our case, it's THE SUPERVISOR IS WATCHING YOU. This stress has been weighing most heavily on our manager Tori, and lots of stress on a woman in her first trimester -- that's right, she's PREGNANT -- is not good. I am once again concerned about her lifting things when she's not supposed to (as I was with Katie).

Well, the news finally became official -- after weeks of rumors and at least one leak -- that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be split into TWO films, un-creatively titled Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I agree with what I've been hearing that using subtitles in the title would be better. This has worked for lots of movies, most recently Pirates of the Caribbean (all three films of which have subtitles in their titles -- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End) and National Treasure (the second movie is called National Treasure: Book of Secrets). The Star Wars prequels also succeeded at this (with the subtitles The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith respectively).

Possible subtitles? It probably depends on how they split the movies. I personally think that after they are captured by the Snatchers and dragged off to Malfoy Manor is a good cliffhanger ending, though after the Silver Doe appears would be logical too since that's about the halfway point of the book. It also is when Ron returns to the group after a long absence, an event which brings resolution and also echoes the end of the Chamber of Secrets movie (where everyone is in the Great Hall and Hermione, who's been Petrified, runs in alive and well and is greeted by Harry and Ron).

So hmm possible subtitles then. Maybe Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: The Battle Begins and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: The Battle Ends. Ok maybe too cheesy. Or maybe Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Soul Searching and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Sole Enemy. The "soul searching" being the search for the Horcruxes; the "sole enemy" being Voldemort. Plus the pun on "soul" and "sole" would be interesting.

On PotterCast, they were saying if they really wanted to do the books justice, they could have split all the movies. That would've been interesting. Order of the Phoenix could've totally been split. I can imagine Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: The Rebellion Begins and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: The Power of Friends. Or something like that.

Anyway not much more to say I think. Good night.


No comments: