Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sample Hebrew monologue, in the style of Learn Hebrew Pod lesson 3-A

This is a practice for me to replicate for myself a version of the monologues given in Lesson 3-A of the podcast I'm listening to to learn Hebrew.

Here goes.

Shalom.
Shmi Misty.
Ani studentit.
Ani lomedet sifrut.
Ani ovedet ch·n·vt m·ch·v·lt.

Translation:

Hello.
My name is Misty.
I am a student.
I study literature.
I work in a grocery store.

The words "studentit," "lomedet," and "ovedet" indicate right away that I am female, as they contain suffixes (-it and -et) used when referring to a female.

The dots in the word "
ch·n·vt m·ch·v·lt" supposedly would be for vowels that are left out, but I don't know what vowels they would be.

Here's another possibility:

Shalom.
Shmi Misty.
Ani studentit.
Ani lomedet m·n·vt.
Ani ovedet ch·n·vt m·ch·v·lt.

Translation: Hello. My name is Misty. I am a student. I am studying art. I work in a grocery store.

I tried to find more vocab to learn, but even on the darn Internet such things as vocab lists for languages are few and far between.

For fun, here's the same two conversations in French (which I know much better).

Bonjour.
Je m'appelle Misty.
Je suis une étudiante.
J'étudie la littérature.
Je travaille dans la boulangerie de un épicierie.

Bonjour.
Je m'appelle Misty.
Je suis une étudiante.
J'etudie l'imprimerie ce semestre.
Je travaille dans la boulangerie de un épicierie.

I changed this up a little cause I know more French than Hebrew.

Translation:

#1:

Hello.
My name is Misty.
I am a (female) student.
I study literature.
I work in the bakery of a grocery shop.

#2:

Hello.
My name is Misty.
I am a (female) student.
I am studying printing this semester.
I work in the bakery of a grocery shop.

Notice here: I put (female) before student because I used the word for "student" with its feminine ending. Also by "printing" I mean the printing trade.

That's all. I'm gonna find something for dinner and probably watch Howl's Moving Castle like I intended to do tonight. I've seen it already, but only in Japanese.


No comments: