Pages

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Work can make you go crazy

This last week has just not been good for me at work. Not like I'm in trouble or anything. There's just been a lot of stress. I don't know whether the fact that we're coming out of a holiday weekend (Labor Day) has anything to do with the craziness of our department, but it is stressful for all of us. Sandra (my department head) apparently must forget how few people she actually has working for her, because she assigns work as if she had tons of help, even when we're ridiculously shorthanded (as we are probably 90% of the time). This includes extra cleaning, etc when she is tipped off that a supervisor is coming, regardless of whether the supervisor actually shows up (a lot of times we are told a supervisor is coming on a particular day, and they never show).

I think the problem is that Sandra comes from a small store, even smaller than my old store, and she is supposedly at our store to learn how to run the bakery in a high-volume store before going to run the bakery at the new Carlsbad store, set to open next Feburary. Plus, she is rather stubborn and tends to do things her own way and not always listen to suggestions from others. At least this is my impression. It may not be totally accurate. I just get miffed when I make a suggestion about how something should be done, based on observation and past experience, and I get ignored.

It's hard when you have more than one manager in a short period of time and thus have to learn different ways of doing things just to suit the manager. I've had four bakery managers in the short time I have been in the bakery at this Stater Bros. (according to this blog, I started at the store I'm at currently on April 4, 2007. This means I have been at this store one year and five months as of this last Thursday, September 4, 2008. I started in the bakery -- also according to this blog -- in early May 2007. So that is a year and 4 months, meaning I was only in the deli for like a month). The only people working in the department right now that were there when I started are Katie (who was my first manager but then she went on maternity leave and decided not to take her manager position back when she came back), Joseph (who has the most seniority in the department - he's been at that store for 8 years), and Karen (the baker). Everyone else came since then.

First we had Katie. I love Katie. She was a very good manager, and continues to be an admirable figure today. She is also a really excellent cake decorator. She also knows a lot of stuff about the store and has way more courage than me about standing up to superiors when necessary (as I found out today). Though she's actually two years younger than me (she was born in 1986), she seems very wise and is sort of like the big sister I wish I had. Sometimes (like today) she'll kind of lecture me, but in a way that makes you realize that she is doing it for your own good. The sort of thing a big sister should do.

After Katie went on maternity leave, Dina (who was the unfortunate victim of a department swap - she went to the deli when I went to the bakery) took over. Dina can be fun and joking, but say or do something she views out of line and she can turn pretty nasty and strict. Dina was only our manager for a short time, because she was picked to take over the deli when its previous manager, Nelly, left.

When Dina left to become deli manager, Tori came to us. Or rather Veronica Garcia a.k.a. "Tori." (Not sure where you get "Tori" from Veronica, but whatever). Anyway, she was interesting. I'm not sure whether she was older or younger than me; she was really short for whatever age she was so it was hard to say. I don't know if she was ever really strict per se but I had some issues with her. She kept assigning me a task and then pulling me off of it before it was done to do another task, so it was hard to get anything done.

By some twist of fate (or maybe, as people say, it's "in the water"), Tori became pregnant. Shortly before she would've left anyway to go on maternity leave, she got transferred to another store. Shortly after that, we got Sandra.

Sandra is something else. Aside from doing the same task-switching thing as Tori, she is similar to Dina in that she switches from fun to strict really easily. She doesn't take no crud from anyone. She does sometimes try to make jokes with me, which is of course a useless thing, because for whatever reason (maybe cause of my Asperger's) I tend to take everything seriously. She also "disappears" a lot, going off to the office or to do the order or something and not coming back for a long time, or at all. One day she disappeared for like 2-3 hours and when she came back she said she had to go home and change cause it was her "time of the month." The only thing is she looks like she's at least 50, and don't you usually stop menstruating at that time? Also, I'm not always sure if she's entirely truthful, as I have heard two versions of the story telling why she came to our store. Her pride and joy is her 10-year-old daughter, who she raises alone, being separated from the father (who she has to see in court every 3 months because of some custody or child support issue). She also is very proud of her brother, who is supposedly the musical director for Jordin Sparks (the winner of American Idol season 6).

Ok enough about work.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

What am I up to lately?

Well the second week of school is over already, and there's lots to do. I have to start research on Nella Larsen (my chosen author) for my ongoing Lit project, which begins with an annotated bibliography due on the 16th (next Tuesday). Meanwhile, by this coming Tuesday (the 9th), I have to read all of our first "novel," Mexican Village (it's actually a collection of self-contained "chapters," but the chapters are really long - the first one is like 30 pages - so you could call it a novel since all together it's like 300 pages). I finally started reading it yesterday before work, and I finished the first story tonight while waiting in the car for my parents to do something in Wal-Mart. I do not find Mexican Village terribly interesting so far, but maybe this is because I have been pretty tired the last couple days and thus not enthousiastic about much. I imagine I will find Passing (our novel by Nella Larsen) much more interesting.

My research should be easier thanks to our extremely helpful library day on Thursday, which was tailored to our class specifically. I thought maybe it would be a rehash of stuff I've already heard, but I was pleasantly surprised. And I learned that we have borrowing rights via circuit from SDSU, USD, and UCSD, the other three universities in the area. I also know that when I was at Mira Costa, we could borrow books from Palomar and CSUSM (something that was a lifesaver for me for speech class, which is where I found out this information), and I suppose that this agreement works both ways - i.e., CSUSM students can check out books at Palomar and Mira Costa just as Palomar and Mira Costa students can check out books from CSUSM as well as from each other. So I have lots of options. If I do borrow books from Mira Costa and Palomar, it's not too hard to take them back -- Mira Costa isn't too far away, and I go by Palomar on the way to work and school anyway.

I am also thinking out the websites. I realized the thing with history and mythology in film wouldn't quite work. So I am back to more of a general site. I thought of possibly having certain projects be permanent but have a changing featured one or two "projects" each month. I was inspired to do this by thinking of Libby on Wednesday, a novel I really like. In that book, Libby has rooms on the third floor of the McCall house where she houses collections devoted to what she's studying (since she was homeschooled up to the point the book starts). Three of the rooms change in theme from time to time, but one room, devoted to the 1930's, stays the same all the time. I am playing with a concept of a focus on women, especially after learning (from random Wikipedia-searching on my laptop during lulls in class) just how many minor goddesses there are in Greek mythology.

As for my sole anime site, Misty's Piscine, I should be able to update that one easily now that I bought the second "volume" of the Diamond & Pearl player's guide, which, aside from a post-story guide for D/P, features a full National Pokedex. I will have to do a lot of updating and rewriting, since a lot of my descriptions come almost plagarized from The Official Pokemon Handbook, a really old book I own that covers the first 150 Pokemon. I will probably keep some of the Red and Blue info, since it comes from the Red/Blue player's guide I no longer own, since I am not sure from which game the info comes for the Red/Blue Pokemon featured in the National Pokedex.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Through leafing through the National Pokedex, I saw a lot of Pokemon I want to catch, like Absol (on the left). I also want to get Milotic (on the right) cause it looks really neat, though you have to get Feebas first cause Milotic evolves from it.

The Republican National Convention was this last week. I watched Sarah Palin's and John McCain's speeches. They were both good, but I liked Palin's better cause she seemed less nervous. I also still find it sad that McCain can only lift his arms so high because of how he was tortured in Vietnam.

Okay I can't think of anything else to say. I'm tired, I have a headache, and I still haven't eaten dinner. Good night for now.

No comments: