Pages

Monday, July 25, 2005

Brother Yun's bio and other stuff

I just finished reading The Heavenly Man, which is by a Chinese Christian named Brother Yun, who was persecuted and imprisoned several times for preaching the gospel in China. It was crazy stuff. What piqued my interest was that he, his co-workers, his mother and his wife heard God speak so clearly to them in visions. I wish God would do that with me.

With that done, I finally picked up Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which I've had in my possession for more than a week and had not yet started reading. I am still in the beginning, but it settles and reveals some stuff. Some of this might be spoilers, so I'll put a spoiler alert.

***THE FOLLOWING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS***

1. Voldemort (or, rather He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named...but I'll be brave like Harry and Dumbledore and call him Voldemort) is definitely back, although we don't see a scene with him in the beginning like in one of the other books (book 5, I think). Even Fudge says so, and he was one of the main proponents of the attacks against Harry for saying so in The Order of the Phoenix.
2. Fudge has been sacked, so he's no longer Minister of Magic. Good riddance, I say.
3. Ron's dad has been promoted. He now heads some department dealing with bad spells disguised as good and stuff.
4. Fleur Delacour (the Triwizard champ from Beauxbatons) is engaged to Bill Weasley, Ron's eldest brother.
5. Snape is a spy for the Death Eaters, which is not surprising. We know he was a former Death Eater from The Order of the Phoenix, and that he's not totally good we know from the rest of the series. Not to mention he doesn't care for Harry at all.
6. Dumbledore is not the man he once was, and has an injured hand. This is supposedly because of his battle with Voldemort in The Order of the Phoenix, which wore him out a lot. But he is still Hogwarts headmaster and Head Warlock of the wizard court.
7. Sirius Black is most definitely dead. The Order of the Phoenix seems to leave some hope that he is not, since no one sees his body, even though Dumbledore seems pretty sure, and Harry too. But in the beginning of book 6 there is talk of Sirius's will, which indicates he is most certainly dead.
8. Harry is not likely to become an Auror, as he hoped in The Order of the Phoenix. He only got an "Exceeds Expectations" in Potions on his O.W.L. exams, whereas he apparently needed an "Outstanding." Ironically, he got an "Outstanding" in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Go figure.
9. Harry is going to be Quidditch captain for Gryffindor this year, putting him on the same level as Ron and Hermione (who are house prefects, as of The Order of the Phoenix).

***END SPOILERS***

I think that's enough. I've got to work on my final for my web design class.

No comments: