Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Miles-a-Minute Challenge #139: Favorite Story

Today's Video: "Story of God"

***
Discuss/Describe your most favorite story and how it relates to your life today.

I am a big fan of The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. There's a lot of long passages of theological discourse in there which can be hard to get through, but underneath is a great story of the Christian life, told via allegory. I've also read an adaptation of it by Steven James 
called Quest for Celestia which reimagines it as a fantasy novel. It combines both parts of Bunyan's work (with Kadin standing in for Christian and Leira for Christiana), condenses parts, and renames places and people, but overall tells the same story. It's a book I like to read sometimes cause I guess it helps remind me what the Christian life is really like. "The bitter must come before the sweet," as the messenger tells Christiana. The bit of Christian's burden falling away when he sees the cross is poignant too. 

I also relate to Leira in Quest for Celestia a little, in that she doesn't feel very worthy or beautiful and has to realize King Kiral (King of Celestia) sees her as special. I know how that feels.

So anyway yeah that's my favorite story.

No comments: