Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Miles-a-Minute Challenge #5: "A Fool Returns to his Folly"

Here's my challenge answer for today's Miles-a-Minute video, "Dog Vomit." (I know, icky title...I don't title these).

***

Discuss/Describe one form of “vomit” you are chewing on right now. (Eeww!)

(Eeww is right!)

By "vomit" the question means something nasty in your life that you get rid of but then go back to. It comes from Proverbs 26:11, which says: "Like a dog that returns to his vomit is a fool who repeats his folly" (ESV).

For me I guess it's junk food. I know junk food is bad for me, but I like it so much I can't stop eating it. Actually probably eating in general is the problem. I'm an emotional overeater; I often eat when I'm not even hungry. Sometimes for me it's just something to do when I'm bored, or a coping mechanism when I'm in a mood. Like cigarettes are to some people. Or it's just a habit thing. Usually when I get home from work I eat something, even if I'm not hungry. When I get to work too, since I usually get to work early. It's just routine. In fact, it's become so routine that when I don't buy something I usually buy (since I also tend to buy the same food all the time), my coworkers actually notice and ask me about it.

I'm not sure what to do about this. A doctor would probably say I have to deal with the emotional root of the issue, otherwise the cycle's not going to stop. But how? I'm not even sure what the root is. *sigh*

No comments: