Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Miles-a-Minute Challenge #66: Count Your Blessings

Today's Video: "Lizard"

***
Discuss/Describe all the blessings you have. Take one minute to list them, then as yourself, why do we dwell on the things we don't have?

Blessings I Do Have

Health
Roof over my head
Clothes
Money to spend
Food
Clean water
Freedom
Glasses so I can see
Books to read
Literacy/ability to read
Ability to write
Education
Use of all my senses
Use of my limbs

Plus probably many others I can't think of right now.

I think we dwell on what we don't have cause we're not satisfied in life. Some need is going unfulfilled, usually a deeper need than just wanting something you don't have. Like a lot of times I eat food, even if I'm not hungry, cause I'm bored or to soothe some emotion. 

Some people might sleep around or commit adultery cause they're not feeling fulfilled in their love/sex life. I think this is why there's that one Bible verse that says to married people to not give up sex for too long, except to devote time to prayer, last Satan get a foothold. (I found it - it's 1 Corinthians 7:5: "Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control" [NIV]). 

One of the Ten Commandments even tells us not to covet what others have. So it's a serious deal.

No comments: