Pages

Monday, February 03, 2014

Miles-a-Minute Challenge #22: Where Do I Go for Fulfillment?

Here's my challenge answer for today's Miles-a-Minute video, "Bar."

***
Discuss/Describe where you go on a regular basis to find a sense of fulfillment.

Hmm. Well not to a bar. I don't drink.

I guess there's not a physical place, except my room. I do tend to withdraw from people a lot. But I do escape to books and fantasies a lot. How that fulfills me exactly I'm not sure, other than being an escape from the real world and all its problems. 

I also find fulfillment through writing stories, maybe cause I am using my God-given talent, and also maybe cause when I write a story, I can control everything.

There's a kids' song I learned either in church or off some cassette, I don't remember. It goes "Life without Jesus is like a donut, there's a hole in the middle of your heart." The point there is that life without Jesus leaves us empty, with a hole in our hearts that only he can fill. As the bridge continues: "It may be OK for a while/but the truth will wipe away your smile/There’s something sad inside me I cannot control/When I think about the donut hole." You can fill the hole with other things, or even just ignore the hole, but ultimately it's gonna make you sad. The second verse of the song compares life without Jesus to something I personally hate, flat soda: "Life without Jesus is like soda without the bubbles, life tastes flat full of troubles." It's the same principle - life without Jesus is unfulfilling and empty, just like flat soda is unappealing to the taste buds.

I guess what this means is that I should be finding my fulfillment through Jesus. And I admit, I did feel more fulfilled when I was younger and closer to God. That's probably why it was easier for me to smile. But as I grew up, and trials began really rocking my faith, I began feeling less fulfilled, started complaining more, and didn't smile as much. Complaining is definitely a sign of not being satisfied or content with your life - look at the Israelites under Moses. They complained all the time, even with all God did for them. 

How can I find my way back to that fulfillment I had? Is it too late? I hope not.

No comments: